The former midfield maestro stated that not
getting enough minutes on the pitch hastened his
decision to quit the round leather game
Austin Jay Jay Okocha has attributed his decision
to retire active football early to lack of enough
playing time.
The ex-Nigeria international who dazzled the
footballing world with his sizzling skills and
breathtaking performances made the shock
decision to leave the game in 2008. According to
the Olympic Gold medallist, reduced minutes on
the pitch of play triggered his exile from the round
leather game, at the age of 34.
“I must confess that [not getting a lot of playing
time] was one of the main reasons why I retired
from playing at a very young age,” Okocha told
media men at a press conference organised by
Star Times.
“I believe that it is not worth it to train from
Monday to Friday just to have 20 minutes on the
pitch or sit on the bench on Saturday. I am very
competitive.”
The midfielder who last represented Nigeria in
2006, appeared for the Super Eagles 75 times with
14 goals to his name.
Wednesday, December 21, 2016
Okocha reveals reason for early retirement
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment