The 29-year-old Spaniard has struggled for game-
time under new Blues boss Antonio Conte this
season and that has led to mounting speculation
that he could be sold in January.
But the former Barcelona star produced in an
impressive performance as Chelsea beat
Manchester City 3-1 to extend their lead at the top
of the Premier League.
Azpilicueta says that display showed that the west
Londoners can’t afford to lose Fabregas and he
expects his compatriot to stay at Stamford Bridge
for many years to come.
The 27-year-old told the London Evening Standard:
"To have a player like him at the club is really
important. We know his qualities — he is a game
changer.
"The passes he did during the win against
Manchester City were amazing. He provided the
assist for the goal which got us back into the game
— Diego scored a very good goal. Not a lot of
players can do that kind of pass.
"I have seen him do things like that for years, with
Spain as well. The skill that he has is very special.
"He can see passes before anyone else and is so
accurate from such a long distance. Obviously, it is
a really difficult thing to do and for others to stop.
"Does he want to stay? He shows that in every
training session and in the games in which he’s
played. There is no doubt about it.
"When some players are not playing, there is
always a bit of speculation. But Cesc has shown
really good commitment, great spirit in training and
in every game, when he has played and when he
hasn’t.
"I think we will have him [for a long time yet]."
Saturday’s game at the Etihad was only Fabregas’
second Premier League start of the season.
While his chances under Conte have been few and
far between so far this term, Azpilicueta says he
and all of Chelsea’s fringe players will have to make
a contribution if they are to win the league.
Monday, December 5, 2016
Cesar Azpilicueta calls on Chelsea to complete this piece of transfer business
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment